By: Stacy Swimp
While on a “Jobs Fair Tour”, Congresswoman Maxine Waters (D-Cal.) declared to a predominantly Black audience in Detroit, Michigan: “I don’t know why the President is not visiting the Black Community on his bus tour”.
The President has consistently absorbed intense criticism from Cornel West, Tavis Smiley, and numerous others, for not having a “Black Agenda”. In the “Jobs Plan” speech he is expected to deliver tonight, many Black Americans are hoping for a special word to address what is perceived as a unique plight in their communities. Such a message shall not be forthcoming. Nor should it be.
Per Wikipedia: “The Preamble to the United States Constitution is a brief introductory statement of the Constitution’s fundamental purposes and guiding principles. It states in general terms, and courts have referred to it as reliable evidence of, the Founding Fathers’ intentions regarding the Constitution’s meaning and what they hoped the Constitution would achieve”
The text of the Preamble reads: “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.’
The Constitution does not grant preference towards a particular ethnic group, nor is it intended to be a respecter of economic class. It is intended to provide a foundation for the “rule of law’ which applies equally to all Americans.
There is only one America. Not a Black, White, Hispanic or Asian America. I pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
America is blessed to have ethnic groups of every kind from every corner of world. Hence, the notion that President Barack Obama owes a special message or agenda to “Black America” is contrary to the U.S. Constitution. Moreover, the term “Black America” is a dysfunctional term, a misnomer, which serves the agenda of liberals who promote class warfare and ethnic hatred for the purpose of bureaucracy and economic exploitation.
“Black America” is a concept born out of Black Nationalism which lets many Americans of African descent off the hook for failing to embrace citizenship and not taking personal responsibility to advantage the same opportunities every American has, regardless of disparities, to compete and own our individual outcomes.
President Barack Obama owes Americans of African descendant the same thing he owes every American. Not special or preferential treatment. He owes America the truth. Something he has not delivered since taking an oath to represent all of the American people.
The truth is that President Obama has done nothing to improve economic conditions for Americans. He has done the exact opposite. Some examples:
- The U.S. unemployment rate has risen to 9.1%. In January 2009, it was 7.6%. The number of “long-term unemployed” in the U.S. is up to 6.2 million. When Obama took office, that number was approximately 2.6 million (http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/unemployment-rate)
- The average price of a gallon of gas is $3.91 (http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/09/average-gas-prices-september-6-2011.html) When Barack Obama first became president, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United States was $1.83. This impacts the price of almost everything else we buy.
- Food stamp use is up 70 percent over the past four years. Today there are more than 44 million Americans on food stamps. (http://soc101.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/food-stamp-use-is-up-sharply/). When Barack Obama was sworn in, there were nearly 32 million Americans on food stamps.
- The number of children living in poverty has gone up by about 2 million in just the past 2 years (http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/20-facts-about-child-hunger-and-child-poverty-that-will-break-your-heart).
- The national debt is 14.3 trillion dollars. When Obama took office, the U.S. national debt was 10.6 trillion dollars.
- The federal government has borrowed $29,660 more dollars per household since Obama signed the economic stimulus law two years ago (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/gov-t-has-borrowed-2966055-household-oba)
- In 2010, more than a million U.S. families lost their homes to foreclosure. During the first three months of this year, less new homes were sold in the U.S. than in any three month period ever recorded.
President Obama needs to tell the American the truth about what it will require to create jobs in America. Spending our way into more debt is not the solution. The following are a few of the many solutions the President can and should talk about for a job plan to be legitimate:
- Repeal the 1931 Davis Bacon Act. This would save U.S. Taxpayers over $10 billion dollars per year (http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/02/repealing-the-davis-bacon-act-would-save-taxpayers-$10-9-billion) and create up to 160,000 new and permanent jobs, rather than the quick fix the President seeks through increased taxation
- Repeal the Minimum Wage Law. Minimum wages discriminates against minorities and poor Americans, causing alarming hikes in unemployment in urban cities (http://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2011/05/11/minimum_wages_discriminatory_effects)
- Pass a National Right To Work Law. Right to Work states create more private sector jobs, as well as more and faster personal income growth than Non Right To Work States (http://www.nrtwc.org/daniels-right-to-work-law-%E2%80%9Cas-soon-as-possible%E2%80%9D/)
- Reform the U.S. Corporate Tax Code. The United States has the highest corporate tax rate in the developed world (http://americanactionforum.org/sites/default/files/Growth%20Through%20Reform%20AAF.pdf). Harsh corporate taxation is punishing corporations for increasing profits, driving jobs overseas.
Americans need President Barack Obama to lead. To support an American agenda that puts all unemployed Americans back in the work force. An American agenda is colorblind, for it is based upon the tenets of free enterprise, limited government, and individual responsibility. Tell the truth Mr. President. You don’t have a jobs plan that will put Americans, of every ethnicity, back to work. You, sir, never did.