The Misguided Perception of “Self Hate:” How this Term Leaves Black America Dazed and Confused
By: Melvin D. Whitlock
The Real Concept of Self Hate-According to Melvin
Often when I speak of the issues that hinder the success of black America, I am met with intolerance from other blacks, particularly those who have subscribed to the racial allegiance concept promoted by the Democrat Party. The following list is in my opinion, the concept of what constitutes self-hatred towards one’s own race. I recognize that self-hate has become a relative term today, and that my view of self-hate may be accepted or rejected for various reasons; however, I make my individual observation based on experience and the tone in which black America seems to be taking as a race and society in today’s time.
- No Snitch Rule-A code of conduct that encourages silence of crimes committed in the community, and prevents many crimes from being solved. In my opinion, this is self-hate!
- 2. Selling Drugs to the Community-As the demand for reduction in drug sentencing grows, so too does the demand for accountability. I support the need to re-evaluate the fairness of many laws in our flawed judicial system; however, I believe the biggest act of self-hate is to knowingly and intentionally sell a controlled substance to a member of one’s own community. In my opinion, the drug dealer is a predator and not a victim of circumstance.
- Creating a Sex Culture-The entertainment industry has created a culture in the black community that not only encourages teenage sex, but also, indirectly encourages single parenting as the standard for the black community. There is no doubt that all communities face the sexual explorative nature being fed by the entertainment industry, but it appears that the black community struggles terribly in finding its community virtue. As long as children in the black community are taught to despise Herman Cain, but accept ‘Gucci Man,’ then not only is this self-hate, but this is a serious problem!
- Wassup My ‘Nigga’-It took black America two-hundred years to go from being a nigger Slave to a nigger freed man. It took black America another one hundred-plus years to go from Nigger to colored, from Colored to Negro, and from Negro to Black. As black America finally establishes its identity, our community allows the very word that we have been escaping for almost four-hundred years, to be re-introduced as a popular identification of one another. In my opinion, self-hate!
- Black on Black Crime-Who is the number one murderer in the black community? The answer, the black man. Who is the number one robber in the black community? The answer, the black man. Who is the number one rapist in the black community? The answer, the black man. In my opinion, self-hate! No statistics needed, and as a member of the black community, we know and understand this to be factual.
- Embracing a Welfare Community-Although black America makes up 12% of the population, black America accounts for nearly 40% of all welfare cases (source). In contrast to the early message of the Civil Rights Movement that called for equal opportunity and community uplift, today’s self-appointed leaders prefer marching for welfare, instead of marching for self-sufficiency.
- Black Liberal Racism-Political insecurity has caused many black liberal leaders to unfairly characterize and racially chastise fellow blacks, who are conservative. Speaking on behalf of most conservatives who are black, I can say that I have endured more racial strife from black liberal democrats then I have from even the most bitter of racist. Self-hate in my opinion, despises racial individuality, and self-hate embraces racial party-loyalty. When we as a people herald the Jena Six as heroes, and Herman Cain as a sell-out, black America we have a problem.
In conclusion, I would like to challenge those who are black to learn from the history of black America, and that is one of self-sufficiency and self-accountability. Even against the most adverse of odds, the history of black America, until recently, has been a history of perseverance through adversity. Self-hate is not something that should be determined by people with political loyalty; but instead, it should be examined by the standards set for one’s own community. It is past time to remove the political vanity associated with the term self-hate, and promote the individuality of leading by example, in order to move our race and society forward.